This site is supported by our readers. We may earn a commission, at no cost to you, if you purchase through links.
As a goat owner, you may be wondering if hydrangeas can pose a threat to your beloved pet. The answer is yes; while not as deadly as some other plants, hydrangeas contain cyanogenetic glycosides that are toxic to goats and other livestock species, including horses, sheep, pigs, and cattle.
This article will provide insight into the signs of toxicity caused by ingestion of this plant so that you can keep your animals safe and healthy.
Table Of Contents
- Hydrangeas are toxic to goats, horses, sheep, pigs, and cattle.
- Cyanogenic glycosides in hydrangeas are poisonous to animals.
- Clinical signs of cyanogen poisoning include sedation, depression, coma, and death.
- Fencing off the garden and keeping pets away from hydrangeas is necessary.
What Part of Hydrangea is Poisonous?
You don’t want your beloved goats to suffer– the foliage, seeds, and flowers of hydrangeas are all toxic and can cause fatal poisoning in animals. Hydrangeas contain cyanogenic glycosides, alkaloids, and saponins, which can be deadly for horses, sheep, pigs, cattle, and goats.
Clinical signs of cyanogen poisoning include sedation, depression, coma, or death at high doses. Some may eat without showing any signs, while others become sick very quickly, so it’s best to give them small quantities initially with extra caution taken when dealing with pregnant does or kids under 6 months old.
Wilted leaves, stems, roots in hay are also more poisonous. Thus, preventing access by fencing off the garden from other plants is a must, as well as keeping pets away from these poisonous flowers altogether!
What Species of Livestock Are Susceptible?
Be warned: Consumption of hydrangeas can be deadly for horses, sheep, pigs, cattle, and goats – so you must take the utmost caution if your livestock have access to them. Goats are particularly susceptible due to their small size, and young kids or pregnant does are more prone to cyanogenic glycoside toxicity.
Boer meat goats have been known to develop tolerance over time from eating azaleas in the past with no symptoms displayed when consuming hydrangea plants later on. Feeding precautions should include monitoring all animals closely after ingestion.
Wilted leaves, stems, and roots, especially in hay, can increase risk factors significantly as they contain higher levels of toxins than fresh foliage. Symptoms are usually displayed within a few hours up to two days and include sedation, depression, and coma.
If caught early enough, treatment options such as inducing vomiting or using intravenous fluids may help reduce damage caused by Kalmia poisoning, which is also present in some species of the Hydrangea plant.
If any animal shows signs, seek medical advice immediately as permanent liver/kidney damage could occur without appropriate care given quickly enough.
What Are the Signs of Cyanogenic Glycoside Toxicity?
Symptoms of cyanogenic glycoside toxicity can be likened to a ticking time bomb, as they may appear within hours or up to two days after ingestion. Clinical signs include sedation, depression, coma, and even death at high doses.
Risk factors for poisoning include wilted leaves in hay, which contain higher levels of toxins than fresh foliage. Small size is especially risky for pregnant does and kids under 6 months old. Access without monitoring closely afterwards is also a risk factor.
Diagnosing cyanogenic glycoside toxicity is essential in order to provide appropriate treatment options, such as inducing vomiting or using intravenous fluids, which could reduce liver/kidney damage if caught early enough.
In addition, adopting prevention measures, such as limiting exposure by growing hydrangeas with fences between them and other plants, will help keep the toxic levels down significantly when it comes to goats consuming this plant species.
Signs of poisoning should not be overlooked. Diarrhea, abdominal pain, nausea, vomiting, increased heart rate, difficulty breathing, loss of appetite, fatigue, and coma are all symptoms that require immediate medical attention before permanent kidney damage occurs from the toxic compounds found in hydrangeas.
To conclude, it’s important to keep in mind that hydrangeas are poisonous to goats, horses, sheep, pigs, cattle, and other livestock. They contain cyanogenetic glycosides, alkaloids, and saponins, which can cause acute and fatal poisoning in animals.
Signs of cyanogen poisoning include sedation, depression, coma, and death at high doses.
Therefore, it’s best to keep goats away from hydrangeas and give them in small quantities if necessary. Pregnant does and young kids should be extra careful as they are more susceptible to poisoning.
Lastly, it’s important to take precautions to prevent dangerous exposure, especially for pets and small children.