This site is supported by our readers. We may earn a commission, at no cost to you, if you purchase through links.
It’s the holiday season, and that means peppermint flavored everything. While we love our furry friends, we have to be careful about what we share with them. Dogs can’t eat peppermint candy! Here’s why:
Peppermint is a hybrid of water mint and spearmint, and it contains menthol. Menthol is a natural chemical that gives peppermint its refreshing and cooling taste. It’s also used in some medicines as a topical pain reliever. In small amounts, menthol is safe for dogs. But when consumed in large quantities, menthol can be toxic to dogs.
The symptoms of menthol toxicity in dogs include vomiting, diarrhea, drooling, panting, and abdominal pain. If your dog has eaten peppermint candy and is showing any of these symptoms, please contact your veterinarian or emergency animal hospital immediately.
While we all enjoy the holiday season, it’s important to keep our furry friends safe. So please, keep the peppermint candy to yourself and let your dog enjoy a dog-friendly holiday treat instead!
Table Of Contents
What happens if a dog eats a peppermint candy cane?
When a dog eats a peppermint candy cane, the mint flavor can cause an upset stomach. The dog may vomit or have diarrhea. If your dog ate a peppermint candy cane, contact your veterinarian.
Will peppermint candy hurt puppies?
No, it will not.
Can dogs eat soft peppermint candy?
The answer is maybe. Dogs can eat soft peppermint candy, but it is not recommended. The main reason is that the candy can contain xylitol, which is a sugar substitute that is toxic to dogs. Xylitol can cause liver damage and even death in dogs, so it’s best to avoid giving them any candy that contains it.