Skip to Content

What Happens if a Dog Eats a Phone Charger? Find Out Now! (Answered 2023)

This site is supported by our readers. We may earn a commission, at no cost to you, if you purchase through links.

Do you have a pup that likes to chew on things? If so, then you’re probably familiar with the fear of coming home to find your phone charger in pieces. But what happens if a dog eats a phone charger? You may be worried about the potential dangers and consequences for your furry family member.

To help put your mind at ease, we’ve compiled all the information you need to know about when it comes to dogs consuming electronic items like chargers. We’ll cover topics such as what happens if my dog ate copper wire or metal, can they get electrocuted from chewing on them and how much is too much when it comes to toxic levels of copper wires for dogs.

Plus more! Find out now by reading this article: What Happens if A Dog Eats A Phone Charger?

Key Takeaways

What Happens If A Dog Eats A Phone Charger?

  • Dogs chewing on phone chargers and other electronic items can lead to serious health risks.
  • Ingesting copper wire or metal from the charger can cause copper toxicity and intestinal blockages.
  • Charger cables and plugged-in chargers pose a risk of electrocution and can be life-threatening.
  • Immediate veterinary attention is necessary if a dog ingests a phone charger or any foreign object.

What Happens if My Dog Eats Copper Wire?

If your dog eats copper wire, it can cause serious damage to their intestines and could potentially be life-threatening, so seek professional advice immediately.

Copper toxicity is a common problem when dogs eat phone batteries or other wires containing the metal. It can also occur if they chew on cables or cords as the toxic substances may enter their system through their digestive tract.

Ingesting these hazards can lead to a life-threatening health issue such as the development of an intestinal blockage that requires immediate medical attention and possibly surgery in extreme cases.

Not only are charger cables dangerous for dogs, but the electric current from plugging them into outlets poses another risk of injury or death due to electrocution.

If you notice your pet has eaten any foreign body, including those related to phones, contact your local veterinarian right away for further information about potential treatment options available so you don’t put them at risk of developing severe complications from this hazardous behavior.

What if My Dog Ate My Charger?

what if my dog ate my charger?
You should contact a vet immediately if your dog has ingested a charger, as the consequences can be life-threatening. Eating cords or cables can cause intestinal blockages, which are dangerous and require immediate medical attention.

Not only that, but plugged-in chargers can also lead to electric shock for pets. To prevent chewing of electronic appliances like mobile phones and chargers, pet owners must take extra caution when leaving them around their furry friends.

It is important to seek professional veterinarian advice if you suspect foreign objects have been consumed by your pet. This way, they can receive any necessary treatment quickly before complications arise from toxic reactions or blockages in the intestines occur.

Additionally, it’s best not to try removing an item yourself since this could cause further damage inside the body.

Keeping an eye on what our pets get up to will go a long way towards keeping them safe from hazardous materials and ensuring they live happy lives with us!

What Happens if My Dog Eats Metal?

Be aware that if your pup swallows metal, it could result in serious health consequences. Foreign body ingestion can cause toxic reactions or intestinal blockages, which can be life-threatening for our furry family member.

Phone cords and charger cables are common items dogs tend to eat, leading to an obstruction of the intestines potentially wrapping around them.

Choking hazards are possible if swallowed whole, so immediate action must be taken by contacting a Pet Poison Helpline or veterinarian right away.

It is important to seek advice from a professional regarding any medical condition of your pet so they receive treatment before complications arise.

Can a Dog Get Electrocuted From Chewing on a Phone Charger?

can a dog get electrocuted from chewing on a phone charger?
Chewing on a phone charger can be deadly for your pup, so don’t let them get their paws on it – or else they might end up getting shocked! Mobile phones carry certain hazards and dangers that are difficult to detect.

To keep our pets safe from potential electrocution symptoms, we must take proper steps for phone safety.

  • Be aware of the cable hazards posed by leaving full cords around the house.
  • Avoid letting dogs chew on mobile phones and batteries.
  • Seek veterinarian advice if you suspect ingestion of any foreign objects like charger cables or mobile phone battery pieces.
  • If an emergency arises, contact an emergency vet immediately as electric current can cause serious damage in small amounts inside their bodies!

We should always be conscious about what materials are left around the house that could present risks to our pet’s health; chewing dangers should not go unnoticed when it comes down to protecting our four-legged friends’ lives!

How Do You Fix a Chewed Phone Charger?

how do you fix a chewed phone charger?
If your pup has chewed on a phone charger, it’s important to take action right away. To prevent further damage, provide safe alternatives for your pup like chew toys or treats. If you suspect ingestion of any non-food items, contact a small animal hospital or the Animal Poison Control Center.

Carefully dispose of damaged chargers in an appropriate way after assessing them with an expert technician. If home remedies are necessary for treating exposed wires, use pliers and electrical tape before plugging back into electricity supply points.

As dog owners, we must always stay aware of what could pose danger to our furry family members and act proactively towards preventing accidents at home – especially when dealing with objects containing electric currents in their environment.

How Much Copper Wire is Toxic to Dogs?

how much copper wire is toxic to dogs?
You should be aware that even small amounts of copper wire can be toxic to dogs, so it’s important to take precautions and keep them away from any cables. Copper toxicity is a type of chemical reaction that may occur if a dog ingests metal wiring or related accessories.

Ingestion can cause digestive tract damage and lead to severe health issues such as stomach ulcers, intestinal blockages, or electrical shock in some cases.

It’s best for all pet owners to get veterinary advice if they suspect their pup has eaten something non-food items like wires:

  • If your pup eats a foreign object like copper wire, seek the help of an emergency vet right away.
  • Contacting Pet Poison Helpline is also recommended.
  • Chew toys are great alternatives when trying to prevent destructive chewing behavior in dogs.

It’s wise never to underestimate the fancy name – ‘foreign body ingestion’ – but also understand its potential consequences on the health and well-being of our four-legged friends!

What Happens if a Dog Chews Up a Wire?

what happens if a dog chews up a wire?
It’s essential to be aware that chewing on a wire can be dangerous for your pet and could cause life-threatening health issues.

The first is the possibility of electric shock if the wire is plugged in or connected to an electrical source.

Additionally, swallowed wires can lead to intestinal blockages or damage as they pass through the digestive tract. Copper toxicity is another concern since many wires contain copper, which can be toxic to dogs when ingested in any amount.

It’s crucial to seek immediate veterinary care if your dog has chewed up a wire and follow the advice of your veterinarian or contact an emergency vet clinic for guidance on how best to proceed and ensure your pet’s safety.



We have seen that when a dog eats a phone charger, it can be a life-threatening situation. Copper wire, metal, and mobile phone batteries can all be dangerous for dogs to ingest. If your pet has eaten any of these items, it is important to seek immediate veterinary attention.

Preventive measures, such as keeping your phone chargers and cords out of reach of your pets, can help protect them from harm.

Avatar for Mutasim Sweileh

Mutasim Sweileh

Mutasim is an author and software engineer from the United States, I and a group of experts made this blog with the aim of answering all the unanswered questions to help as many people as possible.